Wednesday 6 October 2010

Track session at Carnegie

This evening was a fast session with short recoveries: 12x600m in 4 sets of 3, with 40 seconds recovery between each rep & 2 minutes between the sets. There was a good group of seven of us taking part, with Rachael B & Huw I from Otley leading the way with Mark I not far behind. I spent most of the session trying to not drop too far back from Mark. Alan W, Dave J & Adrian B (doing his first track session) were all running strongly.

I did the first set of 600s a bit too quickly, averaging 2:02. For the next 3 sets, I gradually slowed with an overall average for the whole session of 2:06. The previous two weeks at the track I've actually got quicker throughout the session, so this evening certainly showed the effects of going too fast too soon. Nevertheless, the overall average of about 84 seconds per lap wasn't too bad for a longish track session (7.2k in total) with mostly short recoveries.

Whilst this kind of session feels very tough and I'm sure that I'll be suffering tomorrow, hopefully it's the kind of effort that will bring benefits in the future. It's good to experience running at a faster pace than I would normally run at in races.

No comments:

Post a Comment