Tuesday 8 February 2011

A walk & a run



As A is away this week, I'm on dog walking duties, so this morning I decided to head off to Thruscross Reservoir. I've run this route once before, but have never previously walked it.
I parked at the top end of Fewston Reservoir, then headed over the A59 to then walk through the woods alongside the River Washburn towards the dam at Thruscross. After crossing the dam wall, it I followed the path that does a loop around the reservoir. It's quite mixed terrain with woodland, moorland & gravel paths.
I then returned to Fewston by the same path that I took on the outward leg. In total I was walking for 3 hours. I didn't have my Garmin with me, but I would estimate that it was about a
12k walk. Conditions were perfect: sunny, no wind & pleasant temperature for the time of year.
This evening I decided to go along to do one of the Ilkley Harriers club runs. It's the first time this year that I've done a Tuesday club run, as the timing isn't ideal with the Wednesday track sessions.
I joined a 'steady' group led by Paul S. There were 7 of us in total. We ran a route that was initially flat, but with some hills towards the end around Ilkley & Ben Rhyding. I was happy with the pace, which was comfortable for a conversation all the way round, it was interesting to catch up with the running activities of the other members of the group which included new members as well as longstanding Harriers. Including running to & from the club I ran about 12.5k
Tomorrow is the weekly Carnegie track session, so assuming the hamstring & achilles don't play up after today's steady run it will be an opportunity to run a bit more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment