Sunday 20 June 2010

BMAF 5k

Today was the British Masters 5k road race in Horwich. The course is 3 1/2 laps around the town centre, with an uphill finish. The standard of runners is very high considering that it's an all vets field. There were 155 people taking part with more than 30 managing to run faster than 17 minutes.

I was a bit disappointed with my time of 18:20, for 5th place in my age group. That's nearly a minute slower than I did at Esholt. I think that the combined effects of: 1) a slower course, 2) too many recent races & 3) lack of track sessions in the last few weeks accounted for this result. Having said that I don't think that I would have been able to finish in the first 3 M55s even on top form.

We were also disappointed to miss out on a medal in the M50 team event. It was a very competitive age category & less than a minute separated us from the silver medal position, although the winners Bristol & West were well clear. At least Ilkley did manage medals in the F35 category (Sally M) & M65 category (Geoff H).

Thanks for the vocal support around the course from Sarah J, Richard B & Pat L amongst others.

No comments:

Post a Comment