Friday 4 June 2010

Harrogate League race 3 - Yeadon/Esholt

Opinions were divided on this course. Some people that I spoke to afterwards thought that it was a brilliant route: paths through the woods, hills, twists & turns. Others said that it was a really difficult tough course. I was more of the latter opinion. The first couple of kilometres were OK, slightly downhill on a tarmac path along an old railway line. Then we disappeared off into Esholt Woods descending until we eventually reached the road at the start of the John Carr 5k course.

From the halfway point it got really hard: initially steep uphill on a narrow rutted path through the woods, then an even steeper short descent followed by a steady climb back up to the old railway path & back to the finish, near the start.

We had a great turnout of Ilkley Harriers & were the 1st team in the main team competition, the vets competition & the supervets (over 55) competition. I was beaten in the M55 category by Nick P again (after he beat me at the Ilkley Trail race on Saturday), he was really flying up the hills. I did enough, however, to retain my lead in the series.

My next race is a week on Sunday at the Long Eaton 5. Hopefully it will be flat & have a smooth, firm surface, unlike recent races that I've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment