Sunday 13 June 2010

Long Eaton 5 miles


It was ideal conditions for the Long Eaton 5 today: flat course, no wind, dry, just a bit warm (about 19 degrees). The winner, Bruce Raeside from Notts AC ran 23:55 which is one of the 10 fastest 5 mile times in the UK this year (most of the other top 10 times were run at Alsager). It was unusual to run in a race where I didn't know anyone at all.... most of the runners were from local clubs in Derby, Notts & Leicester.

There was a mad dash at the start as we left the playing fields at to join narrow paths in the park. I set off at quite a brisk pace, but soon found myself having to overtake people who had started as if it was a 200m sprint race. My first mile was 5:48, which felt quite comfortable, especially once we got out of the park on to the roads. The next 2 miles were 5:53 & 5:51. However, after the three mile point I started to slow down, recording 6:13 for the 4th mile & it was starting to feel like hard work (maybe I've been doing too many 5k races). I recovered a bit to do 5:57 for the last mile, chasing after someone who I thought might be another M55 (it turned out that he was only 45). So my finish time was 29:42.

Mixed feelings about this result. On the one hand I was pleased to beat my target of 30 minutes, finishing 1st M55 & set new club records for M50 & M55 for 5 miles. On the other hand I was disappointed to slow down so much after 3 miles, I think that I should have been able to run closer to 29 minutes (I guess we're never satisfied). Considering that I'd been feeling well below par for the last few days, it's probably not a bad result all things considered.

Next Sunday is the BMAF 5k at Horwich. I'll need to be running quite a bit faster than I was today if I want to post a respectable time for that race.....certainly I won't be doing a hard track session on Wednesday this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment