Friday 24 December 2010

Deep snow in Belgium

It's been an unusual week of running. After Monday's jaunt around Fewston & Swinsty reservoirs, Tuesday was a brisk 16.5k along the Nesfield Road in a temperature of about minus 8 degrees. Wednesday I was in Ashford, Kent & went for a 14k run in the slush, mostly on back roads. Thursday in Belgium after a difficult overnight drive, endless delays & a 4:30 am Eurotunnel crossing I just about managed a very slow one hour run on compacted snowy trails.

Overnight we had a good 10 inches of fresh white snow, so today's Christmas Eve run was certainly a bit different. Not knowing the area around Lasne too well, I headed off on the trails to Rixensart, then around the lake between Genval & Overijse. So far so good, I then decided to follow a path through some woods, before getting a bit disorientated in a snow bound suburb of Rixensart. Eventually I found a main road that I recognised between La Hulpe & Waterloo, so was able to find my way back to Lasne, dodging the 4X4s, cars with snow chains & other cars struggling to make much progress. By the time I finished I'd run almost 20k, in nearly 2 hours, which wasn't too bad considering the conditions, it isn't easy running in nearly knee deep powder snow, but it certainly was quite entertaining.

Not too much fast running recently, but at least I've been running consistently & hopefully building up some endurance for the Brass Monkey in 4 weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment