Friday 31 December 2010

Review of 2010

I'm not really sure about writing a review of my running in 2010. On the one hand there are a fair number of positives to write about. On the other hand, I'm much more focused now on looking forward to 2011. I guess that the best approach is to use the results from 2010 to set higher standards for next year.

So here goes the review bit:

This time last year I set my targets for 2010 as getting under 18 minutes for 5k (achieved 4 times, with a best of 17:29), achieving Power of 10 UK ranking times for M55 (done at 5k, 5 miles, 10k, half marathon, 5000m & 10000m) & beating some of the Ilkley Harriers club records for my age group (achieved at 5k, 5 miles, 10k & half marathon). So far so good....... sounds like my goals weren't ambitious enough.

Before the start of 2010 I'd never won any age category prizes in road races, but I managed to be 1st M55 at the Brass Monkey half marathon, Dewsbury 10k, Wakefield 10k, Long Eaton 5 mile & Abbey Dash 10k (on chip time). In addition I got series wins for my age group at the Peco cross country, John Carr 5k & Harrogate & District race league. Having never previously raced on the track, I was pleased to win a British Masters silver medal (5000m) & Northern vets medals: gold (5000m & 10000m) & silver (1500m). Amazingly I was also selected as 1st reserve for the England team for the International cross country in Dublin (even though I'm not much of a cross country runner).

Comparing road race times between 2009 & 2010, I improved at 5k (by 47 seconds), 10k (by 26 seconds) & half marathon (by 7 minutes & 3 seconds). My best UK ranking for the year was 5th in the m55 age group (at 5000m) compared to a best of 163rd in 2009 (10k at m50).

On the downsides, the viral illness that I got in July was quite a big setback, with almost 4 weeks of no running at all, then a very slow process of rebuilding fitness over the following weeks/months. I was also disappointed to miss the chance of running a 10 mile time, as a results of the cancellation of the Thirsk & Garstang races due to ice.

I'm not too concerned about overall distances run, but I did run more than 10% further in 2010 than 2009, with a similar number of rest days. I averaged just over 10k per day throughout the year (despite the time lost through illness).

On to the more important bit, looking ahead to 2011. The European Masters 3000m indoor championships is a race that I'm looking forward to.....not sure what to expect having never raced that distance before, nor raced on an indoor track. I'd like to improve my 5k time again.....if I can continue to get faster at short distances, it should benefit my running at all distances. Overall however, the main objective has to be to run regularly & to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment