Monday 20 December 2010

Fantastic running in the snow

I am fortunate to be able to run in daylight hours at this time of year when we have snow & ice on the ground. Today was bright & sunny, about minus 4 degrees at noon & I headed off for my run around Fewston & Swinsty reservoirs. Conditions couldn't have been more perfect...... a light covering of snow, compacted on the gravel paths, but not much ice (except on the reservoirs which were frozen solid). There was no wind & few people around.

My run was at a fairly steady pace after yesterday's race, no need to do any efforts, just run around & enjoy the scenery. I ran it as a figure of 8 circuit, so it was just short of 12k.

Recently since mid November I've been averaging around 100k per week, running for 6/7 days each week, with typically one long run (over 20k) and one interval session (ideally on the track) and a race or another fast run. My other runs are typically like today....10-14k, often off road & easy pace. I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to do this quantity & quality of running if I was still working full time & trying to run after dark midweek, with dangerous icy roads & pavements.

My training is currently geared towards two contradictory target races......coming up on 23 January is the Brass Monkey half marathon, then in March is the European Masters Indoor 3000m championships. In effect I need to be working on both improving my endurance & getting used to running short distances at a very fast pace. At least it makes running interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment