Monday 31 May 2010

Busy Bank Holiday

A bright & sunny Bank Holiday brought lots of people to Ilkley. After spending most of the day gardening, I headed off for a run late afternoon. I just set off running today without any plan of where I was going to go. Even though I'm not one for following schedules, this is unusual, even for me. I normally decide where I'm going before leaving the house.

I started off running through the park, but it was a bit busy with the holiday crowds, so I cut through to Leeds Road before crossing the bridge near Denton. I didn't really fancy a hilly run after yesterday's trail race, but somehow I found myself running up Carters Lane. From the top I went along to Middleton Grange & joined the bridlepath that joins the top of Owler Park Road. From here I new that there were several footpaths that go towards Nesfield, but I managed to find one that I'd never been on before.

After crossing a field I got to a very steep wooded valley, not really sure what had happened to the path. After a bit of scrambling through the undergrowth I eventually found a proper path which led to the road near the top of the hill in Nesfield. I returned to Ilkley along the road & finished with a lap around the park. By now a lot of the day trippers had already left.

In total I ran about 13.5k at a very sedate pace. It was quite an enjoyable run, but next time I think that I'll choose a different route from Middleton to Nesfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment