Friday 7 May 2010

Running up Simon's Seat


My run today could not have been more different to the 5k race around Esholt on Wednesday. I ventured out on one of my favourite runs, although it's the first time this year that I've done it. The route includes the climb of Simon's Seat. I was running at a very gentle pace, taking it easy all the way round & stopping to take photos along the way.
I started from near a cafe called the Buffers where it's possible to park without needing to pay the £7 (or whatever it is now) to park
in one of the Bolton Abbey Estate car parks. The disadvantage of this starting point is that it's at the top of a very big hill, which would need to be climbed at the end of my run. My route took me past the Cavendish Pavilion, then up through the Valley of Desolation (top photo).
It's a long steady climb up to the summit of Simon's Seat, but the view from the top on a clear sunny day like today makes it worthwhile. The wind was quite brisk at the top, so I didn't hand around for too long. For the descent I took the path down to the
River Wharfe at Howgill. This then gave me a run back of about 8k along the side of the river, including my regular running route through the Strid Wood.
Pace really doesn't matter on an off road run like this, especially taking it very easy, but it was interesting that my Garmin recorded more than more than 7 minutes per km, compared to faster than 3:30 per km on Wednesday.
My plan is to take it relatively easy again for the next few days before the next John Carr 5k on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment