Wednesday 5 May 2010

John Carr 1 5k - Yorkshire vets championships

Today was the main race that I've been preparing for this year. I had a target of trying to get under 18 minutes & hoping to get a medal in the Yorkshire Veterans championships. I was quite nervous all day in advance of the race, which is unusual for me.

The race set off at a frantic pace as usual for this brisk 5k course. The 1st km is downhill, but even taking that into account I was surprised to run 3:17, which is 9 seconds faster than I ran last year for that split. In the 2nd km I was aware of a Bingley runner just in front of me who was probably in the same age group as me, so I put in an effort to catch up to him, then overtake him in the 3rd km.

My next 'target' was Richard R who had run a fast 10k on Monday at Rothwell, he seemed to be slowing on the uphill section in the 4th km. The last km is downhill & very quick, so I put in a real effort to get in front of Richard just before the finishing line. I was amazed to look at my watch & see my unofficial finishing time of 17:28, with a split for the 5th km of 3:10!

I was successful in winning the M55 category of the Yorkshire vets championships, the first time that I've had a medal of any sort in a championship race. I believe that my time is also the 2nd fastest 5k time for my age group in the UK this year & a Ilkley Harriers record for M50 & M55. Needless to say I'm very pleased with the evening's race.

There were also some very good performances from other Ilkley runners, Sally M was 1st lady & won the Yorks vets F35 championships. Jane B was 2nd F40 & Alison B 2nd F45.

2 comments:

  1. well done Henry - an excellent result

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well done. Sounds like a well controlled run with a strong finish.

    ReplyDelete