Thursday 19 November 2009

First Blog

I decided to have a go at this blogging. I've started to read other people's blogs, so I thought that it was only fair to write one myself as well. It's going to be about running, which hopefully you would be able to guess from the title.

This week has been preparation for Sunday's Abbey Dash. Monday I did a steady run of 6 miles, including Carter's Lane, nothing special to report. Tuesday was the Ilkley Harriers predictor run. My intention for this was to run well below race pace, given that I had a track session on Wednesday & I'm supposed to be tapering for the Abbey Dash. I set off running with Jeff P, but after a mile or so decided that he was going a bit quicker than I probably should be running, so I let him go. Shortly afterwards, I was overtaken by John T. As we went up the hills to the top of Clifton Road, I managed to go past JT again & was not too far behind JP. For the next couple of miles, I gradually gained ground on JP, but when I eventaully caught up to him, he decided to accelerate. I did think about giving chase, but somehow managed to curb my competitive instincts. At the finish I was about 5 seconds behind him and about 20 seconds after Richard R & Steve C. I had run faster than I was intending to do, but felt very comfortable with the pace. No results yet for the predictor, but I certainly won't have won it.

Wednesday was the Carnegie Track session. Last week was a very tough one, so this week we had a relatively easier session in preparation for the Abbey Dash. We ran a pyramid session, 2X400m, 2X800m, 1X1600m, 2X800m & 2X400m. The group that I run with decided to run at 90 seconds per lap pace, which is 3 or 4 seconds per lap slower than we are capable of running that session, so it felt very comfortable and we were able to complete each effort one or two seconds inside our target. We have made good progress over the 10 weeks or so that we've been running at the track & have a group that runs really well together. The question now is can we run at that kind of pace on Sunday?

Today is a rest day from running as instructed by coach Pete.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Henry - nice blog! That picture of you must be at the start of the race as you look so fresh - if it was at the end then you are not trying hard enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Henry, great to you've joined the blogging world, you can only resist for so long... Very much looking forward to reading about your running tales. See you at Thirsk 10m if not before, best wishes Sarah.

    ReplyDelete