Friday 27 November 2009

Plans for Thirsk

I took a day off from running yesterday, was a bit tired after the hard track session on Wednesday & probably still feeling the effects of the Abbey Dash.

Today's run was a steady 11.5k on the back road to Addingham & back on the main road. Pace was fine, with a couple of faster bursts, but generally felt very comfortable. On the way I saw Geoff Howard. His run last Sunday was very impressive, I believe that it was the 2nd fastest 10k this year in the UK for his age group.

Thinking about the Thirsk 10 on Sunday, I'm still not getting too streesed about pace & target time. I haven't run a fast 10 mile race for many years. My two attempts this year, both at St. Annes, were notable mainly for the strength of the gale blowing off the sea. In the first I set off too fast and suffered in the wind on the way back. In the second I set off slowly to have plenty in reserve for the hard second half. The best that I achieved in these was 67 minutes. Looking at my expected time for 10 miles based on my 10k time from last Sunday, I should be able to run between 62 & 63 minutes. So there's a big difference between what I have done & what I should be able to run. At the moment my plan is to set off at a comfortable pace & just see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment