Sunday 29 November 2009

Thirsk 10 - snorkel optional

It was certainly wet today for the Thirsk 10, the lane just after the start was completely flooded in places. It resembled one of those triathlons where everyone goes running off into the sea at the start of the swimming section.

Everybody seemed to set off very quickly, maybe I was too near the front, or it was the desire to get through the cold puddles as quickly as possible. I went through 2 miles in 11:53 and 5 miles in 30:09, which is way faster than I was intending to run, but it didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I slowed quite a bit in the 2nd half, although I think that was mainly due to the conditions, as I still felt to be running OK & didn't get overtaken by many people. Unusually for me I was chatting to another runner during the race (I think that he was from Valley Striders). I don't know if this slowed me down or kept me going. At the end I didn't feel unduly tired, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. I finished in 63:01 and was 4th M50.

There were some really good performances today. Congratulations to Sarah (runningbear) for her PB & being Northern champion again. Marc T got a PB as well & ran under 60 minutes for the 1st time. There were also some good runs from the Otley Carnegie track group.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention, Henry, although I'm still a long way off your best times! Well done to you too for two good consecutive weeks of racing. Hopefully you can stay clear of injury and keep the consistency going - you'll get quicker yet.

    ReplyDelete