Sunday 23 January 2011

Brass Monkey half marathon











I decided to run after all, not 100% confident that the hamstring would survive. I wore compression shorts for the first time in a race just to give the leg a bit of protection. My plan was to set off at normal race speed & see how things went (I know that a more sensible option would have been to take it easy at the start & then to speed up if all was OK).

After only about 3k I realised the folly of setting off quickly. Even though I was running at about the same pace as last year (3:45 per km for the 1st 5k), my leg was tightening & complaining about going fast. From then it became a question of slowing down & nursing the hamstring to the finish. It was a bit frustrating getting overtaken by lots of runners & 17 or 18 km of slowing down is a long way. The 1st 10k took me about 38:20 & the 2nd 10k 40:14.

On the positive side I got to see lots of people that I wouldn't have seen if I'd run a more even paced race. Clubmates Steve W & Steve C both overtook me and had an epic battle to be the 1st Ilkley Harrier to finish, with Steve C just taking the honours.

There were lots of fellow bloggers in the race. Antony B was much nearer the front of the race than me & seemed to be quite satisfied with his run. Sarah J was treating the race as a training run & was looking far too comfortable & cheery when she overtook me, still finishing 3rd in the ladies race (well done to Marc on a PB). Simon A from Otley overtook me about halfway around. Andy W was running as part of his marathon preparation and was just behind me at the finish.

Special mention to clubmate Jane B who ran under 90 minutes for the 1st time being paced by Andrew M. She celebrated with a bottle of champagne & a prize for 2nd F40.

I finished the race in 84:14, almost 3 minutes slower than last year. Somehow I still managed to win £20 as 1st M55, & hopefully I've done no long term damage to the hamstring.

The winner of the race had apparently come all the way from New Zealand & set a new course record in 65 minutes & a few seconds (presumably he didn't travel over just for this race).

2 comments: