Monday 10 January 2011

Leeds - Liverpool canal

It's been quite a while since I ran along the canal towpath, maybe even more than a year. Today it was quite wet, with rain falling when I set off & big puddles on the path, but in places the canal was still frozen. I ran from Dowley Gap, near Cottingley.

My intention was just to go for a steady run, it was quite pleasant once I got used to the cold & having wet feet. There were few people around, just the odd dog walker here & there & a couple of other runners. I set off through Bingley & past the 5 rise locks, then to Riddlesden, before turning round a couple of km from Silsden where the path becomes very muddy.

As seems to be inevitable when I run alongside the canal, I try to run faster on the way back than I did on the way out. Even though I'd gone at a fairly easy pace on the outward leg (a few seconds under 5 minutes per km), once I turned around I found myself running 20-30 seconds per km quicker. Whilst this was still a fairly comfortable pace, it's a bit faster than I do most of my steady runs. In total I ran just under 20k.

Less than 2 weeks now to the Brass Monkey half marathon. I'll probably do the Peco cross country on Sunday, to get used to racing again, as I've not raced since before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment