Wednesday 12 January 2011

Longer reps on the track

This evening was perfect for running on the track. It was mild, dry & no wind - a complete contrast to last week's icy run. The session was also very different to last week's session. Instead of very short fast reps, we did longer efforts today: 1X2k, 5X1k, with 90 second recoveries. Three of us were running, Mark I, Richard R & myself with coach Pete in charge.

I felt much more at home with the longer reps. Considering the longer distances that I've been running in recent weeks & the lack of fast speedwork, it probably makes sense that running 2k & 1k efforts seemed easier than last week's 300s & 400s.

The slowest kilometre that I ran was actually the 1st half of the 2k, in 3:35. The fastest was the 2nd half of the 2k in 3:30. For the single kilometre efforts they were all between 3:31 & 3:34. This gave an overall average of about 85 seconds per lap, which is 4 or 5 seconds slower than last week's average, but getting a bit closer to the pace that I will be able to run next week's half marathon. Running 21.1k on the road is very different to 7k total of efforts on the track.

Overall I was pleased with the consistency of this evening's session. To prepare for my 3000m track races in February & March, I will need to do more short faster efforts, but as preparation for a half marathon, it was probably about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment