Wednesday 7 April 2010

2 races in 3 days then a track session

Not sure that it was wise to run a track session this evening after the 5 mile race on Sunday & yesterday's Bunny Run fell race. I enjoy the weekly track sessions & so I decided that I'd go along anyway & just do a steady run.

The session from coach Pete this evening was 4X300m, 3X500m, 2X700m, 2X900m, 1X1100m, with 100m jog recovery after each effort, plus an extra 90 seconds recovery before the 1100. We were quite thin on the ground this evening, with only Mark I from my regular running partners able to make it.

Mark set off on the 300m reps at a very brisk speed, equivalent to about 80 seconds 400m pace. I was running considerably slower than that closer to 92 seconds equivalent. As the session went on, Mark slowed a bit & I was able to comfortably maintain 91/92 seconds per 400m. By the time we got to the 1100m, I was able to run relatively much more strongly covering the 1st 1k in 3:37, less than 10 seconds slower than Mark.

The really encouraging thing is that I was able to maintain a constant pace throughout this quite long session, despite the fatigue in my legs. Even though the pace was 5 or 6 seconds per lap slower than I'd normally run on the track, it was still equivalent to less than 38 minutes for a 10k. At no time during the session did I feel to be running at more than 80% effort.

I now don't have any races planned for 3 weeks (we were unsuccessful in getting a team together for the National road relay). It will be good to get some solid training in without the distraction of races for the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment