Sunday 11 April 2010

Not quite as planned

When I set off for my run today the plan was to run around the course of the Ilkley trail race. I headed off by the river to the bottom of Middleton Woods, then up through the first section of the woods & across Curly Hill to join the actual route of the race.

On the track up to the moor I met Andrew & Alison B who were running in the opposite direction, they had just run around the trail race route. I reached concrete square, the conditions were perfect for running, warm, sunny dry underfoot & no wind. I then decided on the change of plan, Round Hill was looking very inviting in front of me, so I deviated from the trail race route at headed upwards. I'd never been up Round Hill from this direction, but I figured that there must be a path.

If there was a path, then I didn't find it! The ground became very boggy, alternating with big clumps of heather making running very difficult. I persevered and eventually reached the summit of Round Hill. From there I headed off along the ridge to Beamsley Beacon. The views were spectacular from up there, with the clear visibility: towards Simon's Seat & the Dales on the right hand side, Pendle Hill in front & Ilkley off to the left hand side. From Beamsley Beacon I descended to the road, then rejoined the trail race route from the log piles.

In total I ran almost 20k, most of it off road. I was running very slowly for most of the way, but I was quite happy with that given the number of fast sessions that I've done in the last week. It was a really pleasurable run & remarkable how few people were around, contrasting with the hoards of people who had descended on the park back in Ilkley.

No comments:

Post a Comment