Tuesday 6 April 2010

Bunny Run

This evening I ran the Bunny Run on the moors above Haworth. Technically it's a fell race, but it's more like a cross country race really. It's only about 4.5k, there were more than 320 runners with plenty of youngsters.

The start was like a cavalry charge with everyone seemingly going off at a manic pace. I found myself well down the field after the first 400m or so, with the kids in particular setting off really quickly. Then it was a question of trying to work my way past as many runners as possible for the rest of the race. The conditions were quite good, not too wet underfoot, no rain & reasonable temperature.

Ilkley Harriers were well represented in the race, I guess that there must have been 35 or 40 of us. Tom A finished second. I finished just behind Steve W. My time was unofficially 20:27, which is about 35 seconds faster than I did over this course last year, so I should be quite happy with that.

The results of Sunday's Halton 5 have now been published. I was 21st out of 696 finishers in 30:24. The winners time was more than 2 minutes slower than the previous year, which shows the effect of the strong headwind. Looking at the Power of Ten UK rankings, this result should put me in 6th place this year in the M55 category. I was 2nd M55 in the race, the guy who beat me is the fastest M55 in the UK at 5 miles.

P.S. According to the official results, I was 73rd in the Bunny Run out of 308 finishers in 20:27. Last year I was 93rd, out of 286 in 21:03.

(Bunny Run photos by Paul Wood)

No comments:

Post a Comment