Wednesday 3 February 2010

The white stuff's back again.

It was a frustrating day today. I could have run during the day when it was cold but generally quite pleasant conditions, but I was holding off because of the planned track session in the evening. The doubt was that snow was forecast from about 4pm. Sure enough the snow started right on cue. It didn't seem to be snowing too heavily, so I got prepared for going to the track, but just as I was ready to set off I got a text message from Paul O to let me know that the session was cancelled.

I was already changed for running, so I decided to put on my fell shoes and venture out into the snow. The conditions weren't actually too bad, there was about an inch of snow on the pavements, but it wasn't slippery at all, unless I just had very good grip in my Inov8s. I headed over the bridge to Rupert Road with the intention of doing some efforts around the 1 mile circuit.

The underfoot conditions weren't too bad, but visibility was difficult as the snow was making my glasses steam up & the street lighting isn't very good. I gave up on the efforts as I couldn't see anything on my watch & also lacking a bit of enthusiasm. I managed to do 4 laps before heading off around the park. There the visibility was even worse in the absence of any lighting, so I'd no idea really what I was running on (except that it was white). I decided to do another couple of laps around Rupert Road before heading home, just under 13k in total.

It was disappointing not to be able to do a proper effort session, although hopefully it shouldn't have any real impact on Sunday's race. Tomorrow I was intending to have a day off from running, but having had two disrupted runs in the last 2 days, I may venture out after all.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be too frustrated Henry, missing the track work might make those legs even friskier for Sunday. Good luck btw. RB.

    ReplyDelete