Saturday 27 February 2010

Parkrun 5k - Hyde Park, Leeds

Not the fastest 5k I've ever done. I finished in 6th place in 18:54, 20 seconds slower than I ran on the same course a couple of weeks ago. Conditions weren't great: cold (zero degrees), wet & very muddy in places, a bit of ice on some of the corners & a few snow flurries. Also I was still feeling a bit tired from the hilly run yesterday afternoon.

I did a longish warm up & a similar length warm down, so in total I ran 13.2 k, with the race in the middle. In reality, it was probably more like a tempo run than a race. So overall not too dissatisfied with the morning's effort.

I think that Parkruns are a great concept. There has been some criticism of them from some club runners, but personally I think that it's great to encourage people to run a 5k time trial. Technically they're not called races, although I'm not really sure what the difference is. The good thing about Parkruns is that you get runners of all ages & abilities, from elite international athletes to people who have never run before. This morning there were 2 young girls aged about 10 running with their mum & they seemed to be having a great time, getting lots of encouragement from everyone there. It's also free to take part.

No comments:

Post a Comment