Saturday 23 January 2010

Easy does it

Opinion is divided on the merits or otherwise of running the day before a half marathon. I decided to go for a very easy flat 8k run today. My logic is that it's good to get out & blow the cobwebs off, even though there is no training benefit, psychologically I feel better going for a run. The one downside is that I feel that I've got a bit of a cold, whilst it's nothing serious, I could do without it on the eve of a race.

I'm really not sure about tomorrow's race, based on my recent 10k at Clitheroe, I should be capable of running a half marathon in less than 83 minutes, however, my most recent half in Brussels in October was 88:34. Even though the Brass Monkey is a much faster course than Brussels, I'm not sure that it's feasible for me to run more than 5 minutes faster. Another factor is that there are several Ilkley Harriers running who are all capable of running between 80 & 83 minutes, so I might be motivated to run with my club mates & see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Henry!

    I've been struggling with a cold for the last couple of days so not 100%, but I'm going to try and go out fast and follow Steve C, Richard R and Andy and aim for 1:20-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've got a mildly dodgy calf, so that's my excuse in before the event. No particular hopes for me tomorrow lads - if I can get under 82mins that'll be a major bonus - key thing is getting through unscathed by injury! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete