Sunday 3 January 2010

Long run in the snow

Having said in my blog yesterday that I didn't expect much more snow, we got another couple of inches overnight. Seven of us met early at the Old Bridge for a long run advertised as 18 miles at 7:30 minutes per mile pace, the temperature was about minus 5. We set off along the Nesfield Road which was quite icy with the downhill sections being paricularly challenging. Andy W took a fall but fortunately without injury.



We slithered our way to the memorial near Bolton Priory & 3 of the group turned back leaving just 4 of us to complete the distance to Barden Bridge. Once we got off road the conditions improved significantly, we were able to run on fresh snow, making the first tracks in it. Andy took some great photos.



We returned along the Dalesway path, which was a much better option than the Nesfield Road, although it did mean that our average pace was someway short of the 7:30 target. Having said that, effort levels were quite high as it's always more difficult to run on snow & ice. By the end of the run I was certainly feeling the distance & I was pleased to not have much further to go. My 3 colleagues are all training for Spring marathons so have many more of these long runs to look forward to (& much further), for me it will have been my last long run for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment