Thursday 7 January 2010

Having fun in the snow

I decided that I might as well go out & have some fun in the snow as serious training is out of the question at the moment. I set off running with the temperature about minus 5 & still lots of snow around so I headed upwards towards the moors.

The average depth of snow on the moor was about 8 or 9 inches, but in some of the drifts it was almost waist deep. To say that running was challenging is certainly not exaggerating. I ran up to join the moor at Wells Road, then up past the Swastika Stone & on to Windgate Nick, before dropping down to Addingham Moorside & returning to Ilkley, in total it was 13.7k. There hadn't been many people beyond the Swastika Stone, so it was a question of making fresh tracks in the snow.

This was without doubt the slowest run I've ever done with an average speed of 7:11 per km - not that I've often run through 9 inches of snow on the moor. The snow conditions were actually quite good, very cold & powdery with virtually no ice. Running down the hill from Windgate Nick was good fun as it's quite steep & a smooth surface - a bit like running down a ski jump ramp.

Not sure about training for the Brass Monkey half marathon.... at least if we have waist deep snowdrifts for the race I'll be better prepared than most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment