Friday 8 January 2010

New shoes in the snow

I decided to try running today in my new cross country spikes. I've never run in spikes before, so was a bit unsure about trying them out in the snow. I decided to go to the Strid Wood which still has a good covering of snow, compacted on the main paths & powdery on the fields. At the start of my run it was minus 3, so it was relatively mild by recent standards.

It was very comfortable running in the spikes, especially where the snow was compacted, they gave really good grip & I didn't feel in danger of slipping at all, although it wasn't especially icy. The spikes weren't ideal in the powdery snow & I would probably have been better off with studded fell shoes for those sections.

All in all it was another enjoyable run. My pace was steady, although I did put in a few efforts up the hills (and also downhill) to see what sort of grip the shoes would give me.

The forecast is for the cold weather to last for at least another week, so need to make the best of the conditions. In the 3 weeks that we've had the snow, I haven't run fast except for the Ribble Valley 10k, but at least I've got plenty of running done (more than 50 miles per week).

No comments:

Post a Comment