Friday 29 January 2010

Running in the Strid Wood

(The above photo was taken earlier this month, I don't normally carry a camera with me while I'm running - today the only snow left was on top of the hills)

Today I went running in the Strid Wood, setting off from the Bolton Abbey car park, past the Priory and on to Cavendish Pavilion (above) then to Barden Bridge before joining the road to Howgill & returning on the Dalesway path, about 16k in total. Conditions were good with the paths clear of snow, ice & mud, it was cold (about 2 degrees) and there was quite a stiff breeze.

Following Sunday's race & the hard track session on Wednesday, I was still feeling heavy in the legs & not looking to set any speed records today. Indeed my average pace was more than 2 minutes per kilometre slower than at the Brass Monkey. However, today's run wasn't about pace, rather it was an opportunity to get out in the fresh air in a really attractive part of the world & just go for a run.

Shortly after Barden Bridge I saw a shooting party about to head off up towards the Valley of Desolation, they offered me a meat pie, but unfortunately I had to decline their offer, as I doubt that I could have digested it on the run. A few minutes later on the back road to Howgill I was overtaken by Ilkley Harrier Steve C who was out on a bike ride....the last time he'd overtaken me was near the end of the race on Sunday.

Today's run was a great pleasure, although I am feeling more tired than usual after a hard week of running. I don't expect great things from the Peco cross country on Sunday, but hopefully there is time to recover before the Dewsbury 10k the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment