Wednesday 20 January 2010

Track for a change

The first track session that we've done since mid December, so it was quite a change from the running I've been doing for a few weeks. We ran 5X400m, 6X800m & 5X400m. The idea was to run the first set of 400s & the 800s at about 10k pace then the final set of 400s a few seconds quicker.

I was a bit wary about about going too quickly with the half marathon race on Sunday, but once the session got underway I felt fine & didn't seem to be pushing it too hard. We managed the first set of 400s in about 87 seconds per lap, then the 800s at about 2:55. The pace was very consistent with a variation of no more than 1 second on any of the reps. The pace is equivalent to about 36:30 for 10k, so was a bit faster than the target.

For the last set of 400s our pace varied considerably, Paul O ran the first two at a blistering speed, around 73 seconds, I was about 8 seconds slower than that, but still much faster than I'd done in the first set. After a slower 4th 400, I finished off with a last lap of 79 seconds.

Whilst I'd been intending to take the session a little bit easy, I felt that I was running at quite a good pace without pushing too hard. Hopefully I'll be able to recover from it in the next couple of days. I won't be running tomorrow, as I'm travelling to Norfolk. Friday & Saturday should be very easy days as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment