Wednesday 27 January 2010

Tough track session

This evening's track session was hard work mainly because I was still feeling very sluggish after Sunday's race. I'm not sure that it's really wise to do a hard track session a few days after a half marathon, but I decided to give it a try. We were a bit thin on the ground as well which made it seem harder than normal, especially into a stiff breeze on the back straight.

We did a 6 minute session first, with the intention of running as far as possible in that time. This was followed by 5X 1k with 200 metre jog recoveries at about 10k race pace. I struggled with the 6 minute effort, as my legs didn't really seem to want to run quickly. According to my Garmin I covered 1.79 km at an average 3:26 minutes per km. I think that the Garmin overestimates the distance on the track, so I was probably a couple of seconds per km slower than that, but still fairly quick all things considered.

For the 5X1k I was trying to keep pace with Rachael B, she was running really well given that she'd also raced at York on Sunday. I averaged 3:34 for each of the kms, with the last one being the quickest so I was quite pleased with that. I can't see me being able to run that pace at the Dewsbury 10k as it's about 10 seconds per km faster than I did at Clitheroe last month.

Tomorrow I think that I need a rest day.

1 comment:

  1. Speedy reps, Henry - about 6 or 7 seconds a km faster than I've been running them. I'm tending to do longer reps now I'm mid-marathon training though. I know what you mean about feeling Sunday in your legs - I elt fine Monday and got a briskish (7:15) 5m in in London, but I did 10m tonight with the middle 8m at 6:45-ish and found it really hard. Think I might be getting Paul's cold though, so that could have contributed to it feeling a bit gnarly.

    ReplyDelete