Tuesday 9 March 2010

Club run with a couple of mile efforts

I decided to do one of the Ilkley Harriers club runs this evening. The fast group wasn't a sensible option with the track session tomorrow, so I opted for a steady run out to Burley roundabout & back. The group were intending to do a couple of mile efforts along Leeds Road, but I convinced myself that I didn't need do the efforts.

When we got to the start of the first effort a few people set off at a brisk pace, I chose to set off right at the back. Unfortunately some kind of reaction happened & I found myself overtaking everyone & even chasing then catching the group that had set off about 10-15 seconds before I did. So 5:41 for the first mile effort, supposedly taking it easy. For the return effort I figured that it would be a better idea to set off near the front of the group then I wouldn't be tempted to give chase. This one was a bit more steady at 5:55, but still quite quick for an effort that was still keeping something in reserve.

Including running to & from the club I ran 15.4k in total averaging about 5 minutes per km. This was OK for the day before a track session, but I would probably have been better advised to have done the efforts at a slower pace.

1 comment:

  1. I've experienced that 'some kind of reaction' before. Meeting up with your club mates can force you to race after them and no advice seems to work, especially that inner voice telling you to slow down. I call it healthy rivalry and perhaps a touch of showing off. Often it can surprise you what you can do, even with tired legs when your with a group.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete