Tuesday 23 March 2010

Slowly does it

Another day, another slow run. Still feeling a bit lethargic & with tomorrow's track session & Sunday's Wakefield 10k, I opted for a short easy run today. It was the favourite two bridges run from Ilkley to Addingham and back, 11.5k.

Conditions were OK: dry, not too cold, not much wind & not many people around. My pace was comfortable, but I seemed to be quite tired in my legs. I guess that I'm getting used to running most of my training runs at a very slow pace then being able to speed up considerably for track sessions & races. It is curious that as I do most of my training runs at an ever slower pace, my race speed seems to continue to improve.

I'm looking forward to the race on Sunday, it will be interesting to see if I can run quicker than my recent time at the Dewsbury 10k. According to the Power of Ten UK rankings, that is still the second fastest 10k for my age group in the UK this year (and there is a question mark over the time that's faster than mine, as the runner is unidentified).

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on mustering the team for last Sunday's 12 man relay, Henry. Great to see the interest in this traditional event being maintained by Ilkley Harriers with both mens and womens teams turning out and so close to qualifying. Particularly when Otley, Bingley and Valley Striders amongst others couldn't manage participation. Apologies on behalf of the club that certain aspects of the course were lacking but I think generally the event reflected the immense amount of work that went into it and hope that generally you all enjoyed the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry. There was a lot of enthusiasm for doing this event at Ilkley Harriers & the men's team that we put out was just about the strongest we could have. We had a great day out overall, although a little bit disappointed not to qualify for the Nationals. I thought that the organisation of the day was good. It must be very difficult to find a suitable course & to share it with dog walkers, kids learning to ride bikes & Sunday morning footballers wasn't ideal, but no real complaints.

    ReplyDelete