Saturday 20 March 2010

Running before a race

I decided to continue my habit of going for a run the day before a race. Many people consider that it's better to have a rest, but I feel better for going running. Today I did a shortened two bridges run, missing out the loop around the park, just over 9k.

It was raining today for the first time for a few weeks. I don't mind running in the rain, providing it's not too cold, today was fine. Not too many aches & pains, the achilles seemed to be less tight than yesterday. Overall I felt OK & glad that I'd been running.

Tomorrow will be a new experience at the Northern 12 stage road relay. We're travelling to the race in Manchester by coach. There should be more than 50 teams taking part in the men's race (with 12 runners on each team), plus the 6 stage women's race as well. The start & finish of each leg is on a running track & the course seems to be flat. My leg is only 4.9k, so it'll be fast & furious. Our target is to be in the first 25 teams & qualify for the National 12 stage, I really don't know how realistic that is.

I got my number yesterday for the Wakefield 10k, on the 28 March. The course has changed completely from when I previously did this race in 2008. It seems to be a much faster course, out & back on a main road closed to traffic, with a gradual incline to halfway, then downhill on the way back. It will be interesting to see how my run will compare to the Dewsbury 10k, on a similar course, at the beginning of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment