Sunday 28 March 2010

Wakefield 10k

Today I had an off day at the Wakefield 10k. My finishing time of 39:16 was my slowest 10k for about a year. It was an early start with the clocks going forward an hour. It was bright & sunny, but the wind was certainly quite strong.

I was surprised how tough the course was, it was mainly uphill for the first half with a headwind making progress difficult. On the return downhill section, I seemed to struggle to get the benefit from the tailwind. My km splits were all over the place from a fastest 3:37 (6th) to a slowest 4:22 (5th).

My troublesome right achilles & calf didn't give me any pain during the race, but was very sore afterwards. I think that I need to take it easy for a while now to let this injury properly recover.

Overall it was disappointing to be more than 2 minutes slower than I ran at the Dewsbury 10k at the beginning of February. Talking to club mates after the race most were a few seconds slower than at Dewsbury, so I seem to have been relatively much slower.

1 comment:

  1. All the times were down today with the strong wind.

    You won your category by a quite a long way - so don't be too down beat.

    All the best for your next race.

    ReplyDelete