Wednesday 3 March 2010

Pyramid session on the track

Tonight's track session was a pyramid: 2X800, 1X1200, 1X1600, 1X1200, 2X800, with 40, 60,80 second recoveries. I was running mainly on my own, although Richard R joined in halfway through the session. I probably ran the first set of 800s & 1200 a bit too fast 2:51 for the 800s & 4:19 for the 1200, averaging about 86 seconds per lap. The 1600 was 5:55, quite a bit slower at 89 seconds per lap & similar pace for the second 1200. For the second set of 800s I managed 2:56 & 2:53.

The overall average for the session's efforts was a little bit slower than I've been doing recently, but considering that I was running mainly on my own, they were long reps & it was cold & windy, it wasn't too bad. According to my Garmin I was averaging only slightly over 3:30 per km, this is a bit faster than the calculation based on lap times (not sure if it's a lack of accuracy of the Garmin, or the effect of not always taking the shortest route around the track).

I did a good long warm up & warm down giving me a total of 15k for the full session. I ran the warm down with Ian F, so even going around having a chat was still pretty quick.

The track sessions are really beneficial for getting used to running at or slightly faster than race speed. Hopefully as the weather gets a bit warmer, we should start to run a bit more quickly as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment