Saturday 5 December 2009

Mud glorious mud

This morning's Peco cross country race was at Hunger Hills in Horsforth. I did a recce round the course before the start with Paul S. I'm not sure that this was a good idea as it became clear that it was going to be a very muddy, hilly, challenging course.

The start was suitably manic with a 50 metre dash to a very narrow muddy steep uphill path. One person fell & nearly got trampled to death. We wound our way around some more muddy woodland paths before a short road section & then a section on a very sticky running track. To complete the lap we had a tour around a field, with a steep hill. Two laps of this circuit, finishing witha kamikaze descent of the hill we went up at the start.

We had a good contingent of Ilkley runners, I followed Dave C & Paul O for much of the way round, overtaking them briefly on the second lap, eventually finishing just behind them in 30th place. This was an improvement of 5 places on my previous Peco run 4 weeks ago, but I don't think there were as many runners today. I was pleased with today's run, even though it wasn't at all my kind of course, it's good to do something different. Not sure that I'll ever be able to run fast up steep hills, down steep hills or on mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment