Tuesday 1 December 2009

It's cold out there

I decided to take advantage of the dry sunny weather & go for a run this morning, rather than wait for this evening's club run. It was minus 2 degrees when I set of from Bolton Bridge to run through the Strid Wood. The route is ideal in these conditions, with generally good runable paths despite the icy patches. The one downside was getting wet feet on the way back going through a flooded section. My feet still haven't thawed out even after a hot shower.

I wasn't too concerned with the pace that I was running at today, rather it was an opportunity to be out in the fresh air on a scenic route and just to run along at whatever speed felt comfortable. I'm probably still a bit tired after the efforts of the last 2 weeks, but I felt fine.

I was having a discussion last week with Paul O about the merits or otherwise of easy runs. I tend to do 2 or 3 hard sessions per week (race, track session, intervals, hills, long run etc.) with 3 or 4 easy sessions (typically 5-10 miles well below race pace). For me this seems to work quite well, I can't run hard every day & an average of about 6 runs per week seems to be about right for me at the moment. Paul does fewer runs, but all of them are quality sessions. I don't think that there is a right of wrong answer to this, it depends on a lot of factors (age, history of injuries, running aspirations, lifestyle, motivation etc.). I actually enjoy my easy runs, such as today, whether or not I get any training benefit from them I'm not sure, but certainly psychologically they make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment